I. Why it is the journey that matters and not the final destiny!
When I think about my life I like to think of it as an adventure, as a journey. And going through it I remind a precious thought that it is the journey that matters and not the final destiny.
“ It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ” Ursula Le Guin
However as human I am weak and strong at the same time and at a given point we all find some confusion about where to go. The vision of the journey is not so clear and the horizon can show some dark clouds or intense fog. At this stage however the best way to understand where to go is sometimes to close my eyes, let go, forget problems and challenges for a moment and think how can I better manage myself.
Although radical and somehow intense there is one thought I like to remind myself:
If I would die tomorrow would I be happy with everything I achieved this precise day, and respectively so far in my life?
I add to this deep thought the following questions that I try to start each day reminding by taking some minutes to ponder:
- What am I most grateful for? Gratitude is critical in life and most of our success or failure is based upon teh way we manage gratitude towards ourselves, others, work, life ultimately!;
- To what degree have I actually controlled the course my life has taken? Did I really choose what I am doing or other people of circumstances did it? I am happy with it? If not why I am not doing something about it?
- What one thing, or things have I not done that I really want to do? The procrastination issues, the thing sI keep delaying that are quite important.
- Am I more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things? what I am missing in my life, the things I always wanted to do…
- I am being the best I can? Yes giving the best of me in each thing I do, not just work, but with a relative, when I wake up in the morning, when I drive, take the tube, manage some small or big task?
- I am choosing and managing carefully the words I use? Don’t say I am tired, don’t blame something on someone else, I am using my thoughts and words loosing my time on judging someone because is different, or somehow not in my scope, view?;
- I am trying to change, to get out of my comfort zone, trying to be better? comfort zone is sometimes a poison I put on myself trying to keep something that is wrong because of fear or moving;
- I am helping someone? In a way only I can and would like her / him / they to support me?;
- Am I dedicating time to my passions and the activities I love? This is one of the most important points to achieve some inner balance, and I do need to repeat it to myself and think about it;
- Did I make a small, positive change(s) to day?Did I put some time to call a family member I did not talk for long time, call a friend, cherish some achievement from a relative, close worker? Did I finish some work, task I delayed for months…;
- Did I pay attention to the small things? Did I acknowledge the lesson, smile, and tried again? the lunch someone did for me, the coffee someone offer me, the smile to someone that was kind? all small things that can highlight life as it happens.
These questions need time and concentration. But when well answered can boost life and create quantum momentum of inner balance and peace. And they just need some highlight time, a capacity to choose what to pay attention to and what to ignore.
II. If I would die tomorrow would I be happy with everything I achieved?
“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” Mahatma Gandhi
Life and the concept of inspirational drive, called it love, or other precious mean-full word are a long eternal fire, that consumes us without logic or understanding! And we can only get it’s special fire if we are free from inner restriction, or society prejudice(s). Once we let go the limitations over and over in its mystic ways in a ways that it is indeed possible to find the right inspirational drive.
Most of the time we only value something when we loose it. That is why when I ask myself if I would die tomorrow would i be happy with everything I achieved, things get clear and I get read of the useless things, that unfortunately sometimes take so much space in my life. These questions and reflections help me to focus and understand how to get balance and meaning.
There are no formula or answer to all mine and your questions or concerns! We don’t know enough! And trust me we will never know! No one will! There are no objective answers to all my and your questions! But there are a lot of small things we can do in the meantime to make our life better. Special bearing in mind that what counts is the journey and not the end destiny. That is what constitutes the mystery of life!
“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson